The Netherlands eScience Center is the Dutch national expertise center for the development and application of research software to advance academic research. We are convinced that research in every academic discipline can be improved by taking advantage of available digital technology. We take a multidisciplinary approach, combining our deep knowledge of both academic research and software development to help define and solve research challenges. We share our ideas and the tools we develop. Together with a wide range of partner organizations, we advance not just our research projects, but the state of academic research in general. Our activities are collaborative research projects with partners, dissemination of our expertise and coordination of eScience activities nationally and internationally. In this way we create an effective bridge between science and scholarly research and state-of-the-art digital technologies. We are looking for an enthusiastic:
eScience Community Officer Research 0.8 fte (m/f)
As ‘eScience community officer research’ you will stimulate data and compute intensive research in research communities nationally and internationally. You link the eScience Center’s expertise with different research communities in the Netherlands. That means that you will actively engage these communities with eScience activities. These communities are digital competence centers at university campuses and networks of researchers across the Netherlands and abroad. You will particularly focus on promoting and stimulating open science methodologies, with an emphasis on re-using and sustaining software. You like to make connections and can easily develop and maintain a network of external research partners. To enable the dissemination of eScience expertise and knowledge exchange, you are expected to initiate different activities such as organizing digital skills workshops. Also, you will stimulate the use of an important tool for sharing expertise develop by the eScience Center: the Research Software Directory. In this way you will stimulate our external stakeholders in academia to enhance scientific and scholarly research through efficient utilization of such tools. To make this happen you have a deep understanding and experience in research software development and usage and you combine this with strong communicating and networking skills.
Main components of the position:
• Develop and maintain a network with research institutions and research programs in the Netherlands relevant for the eScience Center, such as upcoming digital competence centers and domain research infrastructures;
• Organize activities with external research parties to stimulate (re)use of research software, stimulate software sustainability and strengthen digital skills in support of open science;
• Stimulate the (re)use of the Research Software Directory as a federated resource with external parties to find and share high quality research software;
• Engage in relevant activities on open science, with a focus on research software;
• Stimulate and facilitate external research parties to apply methodologies, applications and software developed by the eScience Center;
• Contribute and possibly initiate acquisition of research proposals.
• Academic level, with a PhD degree or equivalent experience;
• Experience in managing networks of partners;
• Experience in the use of scientific ICT;
• Proven expertise in research software (re)use and software sustainability;
• Experience with organizing events, such as teaching courses and workshops;
• Good software development skills, knowledge of software architectures and open source software communities.
• Strong communication skills;
• Strong networking skills;
• A critical and constructive attitude to contribute actively to eScience developments;
• Motivated, flexible, creative, initiative taking, independent but also a real team player.
We offer a position at the eScience Center within the collective agreement for Research Institutes (Cao-OI). Classification is based on education and experience, starting from € 2734 up to € 5064 gross per month, based on a 38-hour working week (salary scales 10-11). Holiday pay amounts to 8% of gross salary actually received and a full 13th month of salary as an end-of-year payment.
The eScience Center offers an interesting and challenging position at the interface of science and digital technologies. You will work in an international team with an informal but creative and ambitious working environment. The location is Amsterdam (Science Park), but site work at collaborating organizations is an important part of your work and this will involve travelling.
The eScience Center has an active diversity policy and would like to hire persons with a background that is underrepresented at the eScience Center. We therefore encourage women and minorities to apply.
For more information about this opportunity, you can contact Wilco Hazeleger, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +31(0)20-4604770. Please send your resume and application letter before May 1, 2019 to email@example.com. Additional information may also be found at www.esciencecenter.nl.